Saturday, 26 January 2013

Swim drama.

Stepping out onto poolside, I was glad that splashy and crazy arms weren't there this time. Annoying kid, over-zealous father and bored spectators were all on cue however, even at 9am on a Saturday morning.

Yes, my alarm clock today was James, possibly saying 'get up, we have to go swimming', but that doesn't seem like something he would say. But today, bizarrely, it was, and off we went, sleepy and keen. (I was sleepy, he was keen.)

It seems that the public swimming pool is worthy of some sort of sitcom - you have them all, the kids, heads squished into tight shiny hats, enthusiastically having lessons at one end, while the bored parents sit on the sidelines, books in hand. There is splashy man, who has less technique than the aforementioned crazy arms, both of which got in my damn way last week when I went swimming in an actual pool for the first time in many years.

Last week I managed two lengths before collapsing puffed out in the shallow end, trying to look like I wasn’t about to drown. This week, I pushed on and am pleased to announce I managed five- FIVE in a row. Our technique has gone to s***. It’s not just breathing patterns, my legs go in the wrong direction when trying to kick evenly, and I get a mouthful of water when trying to do front crawl convincingly. I blame Judy, my swim teacher at the Leisure Centre back in the day.

But anyway, two swim training sessions down and innumerable ones to go. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

  1. Its great to read your blog Becky. I am also training for the same triathlon (and its my first one too!) so its great to read about how your training is going and to know I'm not on my own.

    I look forward to your future blogs and maybe mine will help you on those dark, cold mornings :)

    http://clairethetriathlete.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete